Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Waiting for yarn

When I first saw the Red Carpet Dress, I thought "pretty, but probably not." Though I have to say Dianne's first reaction was that I would knit it and it turns out she was right. This is, however, the first time I've really deviated from the shape of a pattern, so it's involved a lot of planning. I started it on Friday with some Fiesta La Luz silk (the yarn used in the original pattern) that I had stashed for an entirely different project. Problem is I only had two hanks. But I figured the advantage of hand dyed yarn is by it's nature it's not perfectly evenly dyed, so I wasn't too concerned about not having all one dyelot. And on to the internet I went to find a site with the yarn in color cherry.

I was on a roll on Saturday and had knit one and a half of my two now-balls. I was running out of yarn, but really wanted to continue. So I checked LYS Abundant Yarn's site guessing if anyone would have it, they would and they did - in cherry. I think I did a pretty good job of knitting in the new dyelot.

It's turning out to be quite a quick knit, because the skirt front is done. The top of the skirt is a k2tog, yo lace to be folded over as casing for the elastic. I've picked up purl bumps on the inside and will graft the top to the picked up stitches after I've completed and sewn up the side seams. I thought a lace "casing" would be less bulky than stockinette.

I'll start on the back with what is left, but will have to wait a week for my internet purchase because Abundant Yarn as much of the yarn as I had.

Oh well. It's not like there aren't any other projects I can work on.