Sunday, April 30, 2006

Good intentions


I am so much better sewing and knitting in my head. I get so much done. But then there's the reality and good intentions and plans don't always happen quite when I'd like. There's the all the new things I wanted to make before our trip to the desert heat of Arizona. Two pairs of shorts are cut out, but with only two days before we leave for Arizona, I'm not sure if I'll actually get them sewn up. We'll see.

On the other hand, I did get the gauze skirt sewn. This is my first skirt with godets, so I didn't know what to expect. Now I do. It took much longer than I'd anticipated. All the raw edges had to be finished (in this case, serged) before construction; that's eight panels and eight godets. Then attaching the godets; that's sixteen seams (that have to match at the point) plus seaming above the godets. The pattern doesn't say what the circmumference of the skirt hem is; let's just say it's large. This is the first skirt I've made that took almost an entire spool of thread.

But I haven't been sitting on my hands either. Knitterly things are done and in progress.



There are the baby overalls: Done and delivered









The Sunrise Circle Jacket has been knit for a couple of weeks, but I was in search of the right buttons.


Somehow round buttons just didn't seem right. I found possibilities at The Sewing Place and Vogue Fabrics. I'm leaning to the semi-circles from Vogue Fabrics.


Another good intention was to complete the Twisted Front Top from the Spring 2005 Adrienne Vittadini book. It really helps to read the directions through and pay attention. Neglecting to do both resulted in more frogging than normal. It will make a good motel project and maybe I'll have something new to wear after all.



And just because I feel I've neglected the dogs (in the blog - not in life), here are Cody just looking cute and Mandy with snow on her back from March.