Tuesday, April 11, 2006

On and off the needles


UFOs
At dinner celebrating March birthdays last month (Tom's and Dianne's), John asked me how may projects I had going. I stalled and never really answered because I don't think I wanted to admit to the number...and I still haven't counted. I like the process of knitting and I though I do like to finish things, starting something to see how it's done, seems to be what it's about for me. So as I prattle on about my accomplishments, it's only fair to talk about what's still on the needles from days, weeks, and months ago. I think I'll refrain from showing too many projects that are a year-old or more; I'll just get to some of them eventually and add them to the list of finished objects.



There's the top from the cover of Handknit Style that I started after Christmas. I substituted Elann Luna and Plymouth Spice yarns for the more pricey yarns called for in the pattern. The front breezed by, but by the time I got to the plain old stripes on the back I got a little bored. The sleeves are on the needles and I moved on to other projects, but the see through bag with all the yarns (20, if you're counting) sits out in the bonus room to remind me.

Almost finished

The baby overalls are knit up, but still need to be finished with snap tape and a pocket with a cute appliqué. This is where I get to combine sewing with my knitting because I'm going to use my handy-dandy new machine to embroider a little dog onto the front pocket of the overalls. The pattern is from Vogue Knitting on the Go Baby Two.










Done!
On March 26th, I started the Tsuki scarf. On April 10th, it was completed and ready to send to Scotland to its new owner. Knitting the with Artfibers Tsuki yarn was like knitting air, but I really enjoyed it, so I'll probably order another ball or two to knit a real lace pattern.

A new project
Since I finished the scarf, I needed a new project (never mind the UFOs). I found the Sunrise Circle Jacket in the Spring '06 Interweave Knits, and was intrigued by its shape. I started knitting lace because stockinette can be boring to knit, but there's something to be said for "mindless knitting" because I started the jacket Monday and have completed the back.